Modern-day landscapes are known for their clean, minimalistic look. There is way less clutter in these landscapes. Unlike wavy borders in traditional, naturalistic landscapes, this style emphasizes geometric patterns and straight lines that reflect the property’s architecture better. There are no unessential elements in the type of landscape design. The mark of a simple yet perfect contemporary landscape in Sacramento is when nothing can be remove from it without leaving a void. There are a few design tips that you should keep in mind while discussing the design with your landscape contractor in Sacramento. This article lists a few dos and don’ts when planning a modern landscape design in the valley.
- Get an idea of what you want your landscape to achieve. Do you want your landscape to enhance your privacy? Do you want your landscape to look aesthetic? It will be easier to design a landscape that meets your needs when you know your requirements. Having a plan helps reduce stress and wasteful spending. This is an essential step before designing any landscape.
- It is better to always choose pale colors for the landscape to make it look modern. Something about the lack of colors makes everything look honest and simple. By choosing neutral colors and colors from nature like limestone, pea gravel, etc., you allow the architecturally sleek lines of the property and landscape to shine.
- Choose plants that can be trim into a distinct form or shape. Plants that can be manipulate, soft in texture, or have a strong visual punch can create the right effect when used effectively. However, ensure that these aredrought-effective plants since Sacramento is a drought-prone region.
- Do proper research on what features are more suitable for your property and your locality. Also, do proper research on your landscape contractor to see if they can bring your vision to life. Meet your contractor in person if possible. You can talk to them on the phone, but things get a lot clearer when you meet them in person.
- Make sure your landscape contractor knows how to edit the landscape in order to make it look sleek and modern. Always stick to one color for the center of a design. Mixing plants or layering different colors makes the design look traditional rather than giving it a contemporary look.
- As mention earlier, temporary designs are known for their shop and clean looks. Long clean lines and precisely measured radius look really efficient. There is also the option of breaking up long lines of shrubbery with geometric shapes or parterre.
- Plan a landscape that issuitable for all seasons. Remember to consider other seasons’ effects on your present landscape, no matter what season you landscape in. Consider what needs to be shade during the summer or a specific area for barbecuing, or where you can light fireworks during the winter. These aspects are important to ensure the longevity of the investment you made in your yard and that your yard is useful throughout the year.
- Be wary of trends that are permanent elements in the landscape. Using trendy colors on tiles or other lasting features can make your landscape look old as soon as the trend goes out of fashion. Instead, incorporate changeable elements and color trends using flowers, cushions, rugs, etc., that can be switch out as trend changes or you outgrow them.
- Ornate furniture and decor do not go well with modern landscape designs. For a more streamlined look for modern decor and mid-century modern pieces of outdoor furniture that make your lawn contemporary and functional.
- Naturalistic elements in pathways, borders and materials do not get along with the crisp architectural properties of a modern landscape. Therefore, it would be best not to use organic shapes on pathways,borders or materials if you wish to give a modern look to your yard. If you want to stick to natural materials like stone, make sure that they are cut into geometric shapes in patterns so that they relate to the home and deliver a contemporary look.
- Finally, never ignore good advice. Landscape architects in Sacramento are very well verse and have a good understanding of what needs to be done to meet your vision. They have more experience and knowledge of what may work in your climate and how it will affect the overall look you want to achieve. This is not to say that you should not have any input, but when someone does what they do for a living, they have better ideas and advice that would benefit you in the long term.
With these simple do’s and don’ts, you are well on your way to having a great experience while designing the modern landscape you have always wished for.