Everybody seems to be excited and a bit terrified of the rise of Artificial Intelligence (AI). AI has the potential to open up many possibilities in different walks of life. It also has the potential to damage certain industries, professions, and society in general. However, the progress of AI has hardly been as fast as we initially anticipated in the early 2010s.
Yes, AI hasn’t revolutionized all industries or professions yet. But, AI has progressed immensely in some specific fields like vehicle detection, congestion analysis, and facial recognition. AI-powered facial recognition tools have raised various privacy concerns. But, these tools can also do great things for society.
What is Advanced Facial Recognition Technology?
Facial recognition technology allows users to detect, locate, and identify human faces in images and videos.
- AI-powered facial recognition tools capture, analyze, and compare millions of patterns based on an individual’s facial details within seconds.
- These tools instantly transform analog data (pixels from the photo/video of someone’s face) into digital data or vectors.
- The tools then compare the results with other photos/videos in the user’s data bank to identify the person in question.
Recently, a student used an open-source AI-powered facial recognition tool to identify rioters inside the Capitol building on 6th January. The tool went through 6000+ 200K images of faces from the event. It then transformed the blurry, pixelated pictures into high-definition portraits.
These portraits can be found on the website “Faces of the Riot.” Law enforcement agencies can use similar AI-powered facial recognition tools to transform the digital pixels in the portraits into vectors. They can match the results with their existing databases to identify the rioters.
Have they done it? No. But, this example elucidates the incredible potential of AI-powered facial recognition tools. Law enforcement agencies have been reported using AI-powered facial recognition tools in the past. For example, Amazon’s cloud-based face recognition tool called Rekognition is highly coveted by numerous law enforcement agencies.
Of course, using such large-scale facial recognition tools may result in major privacy issues. But, small-scale AI-powered facial recognition tools don’t pose such large-scale threats. Here are a few ways these tools aid society.
Public Security with AI-Powered Facial Recognition Tools
AI-powered facial recognition tools can be used to –
- Find Missing Children: AI-powered facial recognition tools can send real-time alerts whenever they spot missing children on any footage. These timely alerts can accelerate the process of rescuing missing or abducted children. The same technology can be used to find lost adults (e.g., disoriented adults with dementia or Alzheimer’s disease).
- Identify Criminals:Face recognition AI software can help police officers detect matches in images or live videos within minutes. If a criminal is spot by the AI on any footage, it will send alerts. The police can react before it’s too late and catch the criminal.
- Support Missing Persons Investigations: Face recognition AI software tools can be of immense help to investigators. They can use these tools to isolate and assess the physical appearances of suspects involved in a missing person’s case.
Reviewing photographic or video evidence with the aid of these tools can reveal various details about criminal cases and investigations. The insights from these tools can help investigators better understand the obvious/non-obvious connections different suspects have with certain cases.
Integrating Facial Recognition AI into the Workplace
Facial recognition AI will hopefully improve security and safety in society. But, can it help workplaces or companies become safer or even more efficient? Absolutely! A smart AI development company can create AI-powered facial recognition tools that serve very specific purposes of an organization. They can use these tools to –
- Create Automated Time-Tracking System: A facial recognition system can completely automate the process of entry/exit time monitoring at offices. These systems can locate and identify employee faces autonomously. They can track employee entry/exit times without requiring any manual supervision.
- Touchless and Secure Sign-In Systems:Is it easier to commit crimes in this era of facemasks? Not if you use AI-powered facial recognition tools. Even if you wear a facemask, these tools can detect the key features of your face and reveal your identity. If your office is adopting contactless technologies, select an AI-powered facial recognition system. This system will autonomously allow entry to certified employees/visitors. It will also track and detect potentially nefarious visitors to the office.
- Integration:Another benefit of using facial recognition AI software tools is that they integrate very easily with other “smart” tools. These systems are modular. They can be integrate with attendance monitoring tools or existing security tools at the office. They can also be customize to be more user-friendly.
A high-quality facial recognition system with AI capabilities can transform our society. From aiding missing person investigations to increasing employee security and productivity – these tools have various important applications. Even retail storeowners can use these tools to analyze their shoppers’ behavior and improve the quality of their customer service!