Everyone knows that Vitamin D is vital for growing children. It helps in the development of bone, thereby avoiding chances of rickets. And since the sun is its best source, parents across the globe encourage children to spend time outdoors. Nevertheless, amidst all the hustle, we fail to realise the issue of this practice: sunburn. Just like baby wash, the use of baby sunscreen has made its place in the market. While the concept is not very popular, it has undoubtedly made a stride recently. We’ve studied this trend closely and collected the answer for you here:
0 to 6 months
It is a well-known fact that the skin of newborns is fragile. It cannot hold off the chemicals used in sun protection creams, leading to rashes, redness, and irritation. Therefore, looking for a 100% chemical-free baby sunscreen is crucial. We recommend Lotus BABY+ SUNSCREEN SPF 20 PA+++. This chemical-free formula has Calendula extracts that protect the baby’s delicate skin from harmful UV rays and sunburn. Since it has no preservatives, sulphates, petrolatum, or synthetic fragrances, it’s completely safe for your child.
Six months and above
Nowadays, doctors advise against leaving children under the scorching sun for too long. There are times when one cannot help. In such cases, parents can consider using a good baby sunscreen.
How to Select the Best Sunscreen for your Child?
These key pointers need to be kept in mind while opting for a sun protector:
- A sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 20 or 25 should work nicely for kids. According to experts, this reduces the chances of melanoma, pigmentation and other skin ailments significantly.
- In the case of toddlers, the immunity system is not fully developed. Therefore, during outdoor visits, they have a high risk of getting affected by the dangerous UVA/B rays even in short exposure.
- Another point that should be noted while selecting a sunblock for the little ones is its ingredients. Look for natural ingredients like Calendula and Chamomile extracts. They are rich in antioxidants that detoxify the skin and protect it from free radical damage. Also, they have a soothing effect on the baby’s skin.
- Ensure the sunscreen has no mineral oil, petrolatum, sulfates or alcohol. These elements can cause adverse reactions and harm your baby’s skin.
Now that we know what to search for while making such decisions, it is time for the next big step. Let us take a sneak peek at some points you need to consider while applying sunscreen.
- Stick to using the recommended amount of sunscreen. In most cases, the label on the product itself mentions the quantity to be used. If not, make sure to consult a paediatrician beforehand.
- It is crucial to apply sun protection to all exposed areas at least 30 minutes before exposure. These may include the face, ears, hands, etc.
- If the child is engaged in water activities or is sweating, it is advisable to reapply the sunscreen. Make sure to do so every 2 to 3 hours.
- Try the lotion on a small section first to check suitability. Moreover, if the product is being used for the first time, then keep an eye out for excessive drying and redness on the skin. Use baby wipes to clean the area immediately.
- The best way to avoid children getting sunburned is to use sunblock throughout the year. The sun might not be visible during the rainy season due to clouds, but it cannot stop the rays from seeping through the skin.
Products like Lotus Herbals Safe Sun Kids Sunscreen Cream SPF 25 that are specially formulated for children’s young and delicate skin can be of aid.
So research online, look at the options available and their ingredients, and consult the paediatrician before finalising a baby sunscreen. Keep the above-mentioned tips in mind and it will undoubtedly be an effective investment.
Read More About Info Tech Share.