No longer is a bed the only essential in a bedroom; wardrobes play an important part when it comes to necessary furniture. However, these take up a major portion of the space, and hence they need to be carefully chosen so that it is functional as well as aesthetically pleasing. While you can pick wardrobes from Wakefit, which have a variety of designs, it is important to know what suits your space before making a purchase. Here is a wardrobe guide to help you choose the right one:
Wardrobe Buying Guide
A wardrobe is not only a palace where your wearables are kept but also a piece of furniture that adds to the decor of the space. So you should select a wardrobe that fulfils your storage needs as well as looks chic and sophisticated. Read on to know the different types of wardrobes available in the market:
Types of Wardrobes
- Hinged wardrobes: These are the most popular style of wardrobes and come in one, two, three, or even four-door styles. It is more sophisticated than an almirah for the bedroom but boasts a simple design. It is called hinged wardrobes as the doors have hinges on them and open wide. A hinged wardrobe is ideal for bedrooms of all sizes, provided there is enough space to open out in the front. The main advantage of these wardrobes is that all the items are visible. The hinged wardrobes come in many textures, colours, and styles and can fit into any decor.
- Sliding wardrobes: These are modern wardrobe ideas that are an improvement on the traditional hinge wardrobe styles. It is a good choice for compact urban homes where there is not enough space for the door to open out. The sliding door can be designed with two or four doors and occupies less space. Having these types of wardrobes allows for more free space.
- Mirror wardrobes: A mirrored wardrobe adds more dimension to the room. It boosts the visual appeal and elevates the room to look extraordinary. A wardrobe with mirrors can also brighten the room by reflecting lighting creating the illusion of a larger space. So it is suited for smaller rooms.
There are two factors to bear in mind while choosing wardrobe materials. The shutter panel can bend or wrap as it is longer than kitchen cabinets. Next, since these are kept in places where there is not much water, there is no need for them to be water-resistant. But if you stay in humid cities, then it can lead to swelling. Some materials commonly used are MDF, engineered wood, plywood, or HDF. However, an engineered wooden wardrobe online is the most popular as it is water-resistant and termite-proof. Additionally, it is lightweight and easy to move.
There are many types of finishes, while some are more preferred than others. It includes:
- Veneers: It is made of thin slices of solid wood which are glued together on engineered wood.
2.Laminates: These are made from plastic and paper resins that are hard-pressed into sheets. They come in many finishes, textures, and colours and range from glossy to matt finish.
- Paint: Colours of various hues can be added to laminates or engineered wood.
How to Choose a Wardrobe?
One of the important decisions to make while picking a wardrobe is to decide between a built-in wardrobe and a free-standing wardrobe. Free-standing wardrobes are recommended as you can move them around from one room to another or even a new home. The other alternative is to opt for a custom-built wardrobe. While these are not portable, it gives you the freedom to decide on the size, finish, storage accessories, etc., according to your preferences. However, it takes time and expertise to design and build a wardrobe. Apart from considering the above, a few other things to factorise while purchasing a wardrobe are:
Measure the size: Whatever the wardrobe you decide, check the available floor space and height. Coming to the interiors, you should also determine if the height of the clothing rod is as per your needs. Typically a height of 45 inches is needed when you want to hang pants, skirts, and blouses. If it is for your kids’ bedroom, a height of 30 inches will suffice.
If you need lots of storage, then opt for a wardrobe with drawers and deeper shelves, but they should not be more than 15 inches as it makes it difficult to access things. Also, ensure enough space in the bedroom for operation and movement when you take measurements.
Usage: Ask yourself what storage you need. Do you need more space for hanging clothes or need more shelves, racks, or drawers? Once you know what you need, it becomes easy to check the features it provides.
An ideal wardrobe for your beautiful room is icing on the cake. But finding that can be a complex task, especially if you have no clue about it. But using the above guide, you can find the wardrobe for your room that is aesthetically pleasing as well as offers you needed storage space.